Saturday, May 5, 2007

I - Is it me?

Remember the last time you lied for nothing but to impose what you aren’t. How much pressure, how much insecurity and finally when the truth divulged, what a shame! This is not something that happens occasionally, it is a usual phenomenon, as innocent as our body mechanism.
Somewhere I feel, we aren’t yet living a free life. Our freedom is but a sham. We are either arrogant of our riches (monetary, language, education) or cry of our poverty. Your residence decides your status, your money does it, your wealth, your riches, your luck, everything forms your identity, and not what you aspire, your ideals. Life has become objective to an absolute degree. We want to produce a good piece not for the sake of art, but to be claimed as a "great artist".
Those with good knowledge of the English language find it easier to fetch a job, a trait conclusive of your parents’ choice and ability to send you to an English medium school. And as such, "Hindi is our national language."
We claim to be a part of the largest democracy, yet we have realities of Nithari and Vibhadra, where human life does not stand at par to even a few pence. We see there is a lack of consonance between what we do and what we think should be done. It starts from an individual and extends to our nation, its policies, philosophies and records.
So, let us learn to be free, be what we are, and claim what is ours. Let us understand what Liberty, Equality and Freedom mean to us and not go by the definitions.
Let me test, let me fail, let me succeed, and let me be free, the way I define my FREEDOM.
Written By: Priya Tyagi, Miranda House, Delhi

No comments: