Saturday, May 5, 2007

Are we really independent?

I was thinking about myself as to who am I? When I self internalized I found that like every individual I am a person who loves independence. But when I actually looked outside I found that this independence is no where. One question that came to my mind was that even after 50 years of independence are we really Independent? When I was born that time I was under the guidance of my parents and was totally dependent on them. They influenced me as to what I am today. When I grew up and went to school I was bounded by the rules and regulations. The same was applicable even for the college. At every point of time I remember the quote “Man is born free but lives in chains”. That time people used to say all this would be helpful in becoming a good citizen and once I become an adult I will be free and can live my life independently. On my 18th birthday I was very excited that now I will be independent and will make a new world of my own. I will be independent and can take my decisions independently. Was this really possible? Soon my dreams were dashed to the ground. All around me was blood and more blood. Every sight caused me immense pain and everytime I questioned myself are we independent? Although we fought for independence but still we are dependent much more than what we were before getting independence. I found the society was very conservative. In reality it was not at all independent. Whatever I did I was imposed to follow certain ethics and norms in life. The thought of doing something was always followed by the thought as to how the society would perceive me or my thinking. I just cannot do whatever I want because that can harm others mentally and physically thus making it rather difficult for me to take independent decisions. Every action or decision was bounded by the perception of the society. We can never be completely independent as long as we live in a society. In order to be really independent one should have the right to live their lives in the way they want. The society was surrounded by corruption and corrupt politicians. Bribery was the order of the day. People were killing each other for no reason. The crime rates had increased and people were no longer feeling safe. Soon I realized that everything was not as good as I thought it to be, forget about being united and independent , even relationships were not valued. People were ready to sell their families for the sake of money or even go to the extent of killing them for their own needs. Though people used to say that the Country is free from slavery but still it existed in different forms. Out of which the problem of child labor was very severe. Children were abused and were forced to beg. The society was also facing the problem of unemployment. People were dying out of hunger as they could not afford 2 meals a day. Due to lack in education, women were most affected and they went through was suffering and pain. They were never considered at par with men. They were always looked down upon and were never accepted in the society as working women. Bribery was still in existence due to which many lives were also lost. Everyone was much aware of the fact that the practice of dowry was bad and not right but still it was being accepted and followed at all levels. We call ourselves independent and educated, then why can’t we break this conservatism. We are still dependent on the political system which keeps the people illiterate so that the votes can be controlled easily. We have to depend on one another for our needs. Each one of us was living a misleading path of life where our likes and dislikes did not make any sense and had no existence in the real independent world. It’s high time we realize that each individual is a unique piece of art and give each person their birthright the right to live the way they want. Was this the independence that I was looking for? Was this the independence for which the freedom fighters gave their lives? Even after 50 years of independent are we really independent?
Written By: Nitin Sureka, TAPMI, Manipal

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

True independence comes for courage and conviction. Today we are at a point where each right thinking person has to question his choices. Everyone wants to be happy. The problem is that in the pursuit of what we think is happiness, we end up making choices that create karma that brings unhappiness. The way out is to find a philosophy of life that allows us to create the highest value in our lives and in the lives of those around us.

Anonymous said...

This gives a mind-blowing message to all Indians and all the people living in the society. Every person should read this and realize that what type of life they are living and what type of life they should actually live being an independent Indian.